Any facility interested in electronically interfacing with the state's immunization registry (Mississippi Immunization Information eXchange — MIIX) will be required to adhere to the following steps.
- Complete the on-line Meaningful Use Registration form with MSDH. Register now »
- Submit immunization data based on the following Mississippi Rules and Regulations:
- Mississippi Child Immunization Act of 1994
- Transform the data to be submitted into Health Level Seven (HL7) transactions based on national standards.
- Include specific MSDH data elements that are required in the HL7 message. View data elements »
- Transmit the HL7 file to the MSDH as defined below in the section Immunization Registry Interface Options.
HL7 implementation guides (Versions 2.3.1 and 2.5.1)
The MIIX Implementation Guide V2.5.1 provides guidance required by the regulation for "meaningful use" criteria for incentive funding, under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act. The MIIX Implementation Guide V2.5.1 is available free of charge here.
MIIX Implementation guide (Version 2.3.1) is accepted for Stage 1 but will not qualify for Meaningful Use incentive funding in Stage 2. The MIIX Implementation Guide V2.3.1 is available free of charge here.
Immunizations Registry Interface Options
MSDH is committed to satisfying all eligible hospitals, providers, and CAHs in fulfilling Stage 1 Meaningful Use requirements. We are also actively implementing production interfaces between EHRs and MIIX. The MIIX interface can be implemented in the following ways, depending on your clinic's workflow and / or EHR solution:
- Batch Data (uni-directional): immunization data will be sent from your EHR to MIIX as an HL7 2.3.1 or 2.5.1 batch file. No data from MIIX is returned to your EHR.
- Batch Data (bi-directional): Immunization data will be sent from your EHR to MIIX as an HL7 2.3.1 or 2.5.1 batch file. For successfully queries, MIIX will return all immunizations stored in MIIX and an ACIP forecast (HL7 2.5.1), typically within 24 hours.
- Real time (bi-directional): An HL7 2.3.1 or 2.5.1 query will be conducted from your EHR for individual patients. A successful query will result in the patient's immunizations and ACIP forecast (HL7 V2.5.1) being returned and displayed within your EHR.
MSDH is working in conjunction with the state's Health Information Exchange (HIE - the Mississippi Health Information Network [MS-HIN]) to facilitate healthcare data exchange within the state of Mississippi. MSDH has designated MS-HIN the ability to satisfy Meaningful Use criteria for interfacing with the state's immunizations registry (MIIX) and fully support the interface options described above.
Please contact your MS-HIN representative to start the interface process with MIIX.
For non-MS-HIN participants
MSDH provides the capability to interface directly with the MIIX to satisfy your clinical and Meaningful Use needs.
Please contact the MSDH Meaningful Use Coordinator to initiate the MIIX interface process at 601-576-7725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.