Healthy Moms, Healthy Babies of Mississippi is a care management and home visiting program for expectant moms and infants. We work with families and communities to help ensure that all Mississippi moms and babies have safe birthing experiences and healthy infant development.
A Healthy Mississippi
Transforming Generations: One Mother, One Baby, One Family at a Time
Services We Provide
The Healthy Moms, Healthy Babies program provides a multidisciplinary support team to assist moms and babies in all 82 Mississippi counties who have identified health risks. The HM/HB team may help with:
- Finding a medical home for you and/or your baby
- Identifying family and community supports
- Referrals for services such as Medicaid, food stamps (SNAP) and WIC
- Referrals for family planning, mental health, transportation, housing, medical services, childcare, employment services, and breastfeeding assistance
- Home visits by a nurse care manager after your baby is born
- Health education, such as preparing for the hospital, depression, anxiety, caring for baby, infant safety, and healthy infant development
- Nutritional information
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible for Healthy Moms, Healthy Babies services if you or your infant (up to 1 year of age) have certain conditions that put your pregnancy or the health of your infant at risk.
Mothers may qualify if conditions exist that put their pregnancy or the health of their baby at risk. Conditions include:
- Having a chronic illness such as diabetes or hypertension
- Tobacco, alcohol or substance abuse
- Living in an unsafe environment, such as inadequate housing or being a victim or violence or abuse.
- Being 19 or younger and pregnant
Infants may qualify if they have certain medical conditions as well. These include:
- Being born prior to 37 weeks of gestation
- Weighing less than 5 lbs, 8 ozs at birth
- Other medical or psychosocial conditions affecting your infant's health or development.
Our risk screening will look for these and other conditions that can qualify you or your baby.
What is Your Role?
This is a voluntary program. If you decide to participate, you will be asked to:
- Participate in your plan of care and attend appointments with the HM/HB Primary Nurse Care Manager and your care management support team
- Provide a working contact number for your care management team to reach you.
- Keep your care management team up to date about appointments with other healthcare providers.
- Let the care management team know if you are having any problems with your pregnancy or baby.
- Ask questions to help us better serve you.
How to Get Our Services: Contact and Referral
You can contact our program directly to if you think you may qualify, contact a county health department near you, or call 601-576-7463. You can also be referred for our services by a medical professional or other source.
Write to us
Want more information about the program, or to see whether you are eligible? Send us a note with the form below.
Information and Resources
For Parents and Parents-to-Be
For Health and Care Professionals
Get free text message tips for a healthy pregnancy and first year of life for your child, timed to your baby's development.
For more information about the Healthy Moms, Healthy Babies of Mississippi program, or to see whether you qualify for services, contact your county health department, or call 800-721-7222 (601-576-7463). Write to the program at HM.HB@msdh.ms.gov
For more information about MSDH's Maternal and Child Health Programs and the MCH Block Grant, call 1-800-721-7222.