The Clinical Chemistry & Hematology Section conducts laboratory testing to prevent, diagnose and assist in monitoring disease states as patients are cared for in the County Health Departments
Tests and Technology
- Hemoglobinopathy detection and identification using alkaline electrophoresis is performed daily. Further reflex testing is performed on a weekly basis as indicated utilizing acid agar electrophoresis.
- Blood chemistry analyses include electrolytes, BUN, creatinine, uric acid, total bilirubin, AST, ALT, cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, a calculated LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose.
- Complete Blood Counts (CBC), with or without electronic WBC differential counts, are analyzed Tuesday through Saturday.
- An automated chemistry analyzer is in operation Monday through Friday.
- A hematology analyzer is operated Tuesday through Saturday.
Twenty-four hour turn-around time is provided in most cases Monday through Friday with the exceptions noted in the test section above.
Laboratory Services Request
Detailed, current information on available testing, and guidelines for ordering, collection, transport, and submission of specimens is available in the Laboratory Services Guide. All requests for clinical testing must be made by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner.